Rug Show: Hooked in the Mountains XX in 2022
We’ve picked a venue and set the dates:
November 3-6 at Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier, VT
Here are some things we know:
(NOTE: This page is being updated frequently as decisions are made.)
1. The board members who visited the venue are VERY excited about the possibilities in this new venue.
2. Rug Registration will be online, starting June 2, 2022.
Each member may register ONE or TWO rugs for a fee of $15. Winners from 2018 and 2020 may ALSO bring back the rug that was chosen by the Jurors or the Viewers.
In the same registration process you can sign up to be included in a 2023 Virtual Show. You’ll be allowed to enter rugs in the Virtual Show at a fee of $10 per rug. IF you want to submit the same rug(s) for both shows, then we’ll take care of photographing your rugs when you bring or send them for the November show. (You can submit one or two OTHER rugs for the Virtual Show, but you’ll be responsible for getting those other rugs photographed.) IF we photograph your rug in Montpelier before hanging the show, you have the option to request the High Resolution image file, with an additional charge of $10 per rug.
We’ll have all this spelled out on the rug registration page, which won’t launch until June 2 – The day after you get your June 1 newsletter!
3. Rug Drop Off will be Saturday, October 29 – hours TBD.
4. Opening Reception will be Wednesday, November 2, from 5-8. Tickets, limited to 150, will go on sale June 2 for $10. There will be refreshments and a cash bar. Attendees will get to see the show and meet the featured artists.
5. We have space for 8 vendors in a building adjacent to the exhibit hall. Vendors are: Dorr Mill, Nancy Jewett, Mary Lee O’Conner, Sandy Ducharme, Lucille Fester, Susan Snider, Judith Hotchkiss, and Stephanie Krause.
6. Classrooms, a Hook-in Room, and a Guild Sales Room will be in the same building with vendors.
7. Guild Sales will be limited to donated and consigned tools, patterns, etc. but NOT wool! Our selling wool at the show in 2018 was not a good thing for our vendors. We plan to have at least one Wool Sale / Swap on May 21st in Randolph. Watch for details on that! Meanwhile, sort your stuff — these are opportunities to clear out those closets and help some other hooker!
8. We will have a rug school with a mix of 1- and 2-day classes – with three classrooms available.
Click here for teachers and class topics.
9. The college has dormitory rooms available for us at $65/room with two beds. See Hotel Rooms / Dorm Rooms page for the details.
10. The college will help with construction of walls and lighting, so we can focus on the art.
11. Grace Collette and Sandra Grant will be featured artists – you’ll get to see IN PERSON rugs that were featured in our Virtual Show, as well as new pieces.
12. There will be several rugs to be raffled off, one at the opening reception, others to be displayed at the show, with ticket sales online and at the show, with the drawing at the close of the show on Sunday, November 6, 2022.
We also know:
We’re going to need volunteers
to make this work!
A. We will need help hanging the show on Tuesday and Wednesday, Nov. 1 and 2. (Jenn Davey)
B. We will want help with the Opening Reception. (Pam Finnegan is the lead for this and has already lined up her team.)
C. We will need help the days of the show to be at the entrances, selling admission and monitoring Viewer’s Choice balloting. (Biffie Gallant will lead this team.)
D. We will want to have support for the teachers and students in the Rug School. (Need a chairperson for this!)
E. We will need volunteers to man the Guild Sale Room (Belinda Whipple Worth in charge) and the Hook-in Area. (We need a coordinator for this!)
F. We’ll want help getting the word out, especially to local tourist attractions and wool and yarn shops. We’ll print cards that can be distributed by our members. There are pages where you can help us brainstorm places to put posters and cards. See Publicity Brainstorming 2022
G. We’ll offer ways for you to sign up to volunteer starting June 2. If you’re interested in leading the Rug School Team or Minding the Hook-in Room, let us know ASAP!